Thursday 28 May 2009

Took the plunge!

After had an extensive research on the procedure and visited four laser surgery centres, I have finally made up my mind to go ahead and booked the surgery with FOCUS on 25/06/09!!!

I would also like to comment on the pros and cons of the clinics I have visited.

OE
Pros : A big high street chain with lots of branches all over UK. If I moved out of London, accessibility to after care would not be a problem.

Cons : I did not have much confidence with the optician that carried out my eye tests, especially the prescription she gave me was inconsistent with other clinics. They have too many treatment options to choose from which I found very confusing, i.e. Lasek, Lasek with Wavefront, Blade cut Lasik without Wavefront, Blade cut Lasik with Wavefront, IntraLase without Wavefront and IntraLase with Wavefront.


AccuVision
Pros : I like their personal approach to customer care, as all the tests was done by the optometrist. The other three clinics all have technicians to carry out the scans before the final eye tests were carried out by the optometrists. The Wavefront technology is included in all treatments.

Cons : They only offer Microkeratome (blade cut) Wavefront Lasik, that is the only fault I can find with them really.


Ultralase
Pros : Again a big high street chain with branches all over the country. They offer Lifetime Warranty on their treatment and only offer IntraLase or laser cut flap.

Cons : Wavefront is not included in the treatment and they are the most expensive treatment provider out there. They hard sell and bombarded your email account with offers almost every week!


FOCUS
Pros : They offer Lifelong Warranty and Wavefront is included in their treatment. They are also phasing out the blade cut Lasik (M-Lasik). Their price is the most competitive and the service I received was brilliant. I personally find that Dr Allamby's blog is really useful, it provides a mean to question the surgeon himself and usually the questions are answered within a few hours. It is handy for aftercare too, for example if you have a condition that is not urgent but would like it to be addressed, contacting him via his blog is a good way to get the answer in a few hours.

Cons : A few people on Lasik-Eye do not agree with Dr Allamby's marketing strategies, i.e. his personal blog, the use of celebrities, and the statement 'Treatment starts from £295', etc. As mentioned above, I find the blog useful. The use of celebrities may not be of everyone taste, but if he had the confidence to do so then why not? As for 'Treatment starts from £295', I agree that it is a bit misleading, but if Optical Express can do it I don't see why he could not do it too. Also, his treatment charges was the most competitive compared to the three clinics.

No comments:

Post a Comment